Monday, February 10, 2020

This Scheming World: Money and the Masses in 17th Century Japan

Short Story Titles from This Scheming World
I recently read a book. I should have been working but someone once said great writers are proficient readers. If I don’t make rent this month I blame the scoundrel who said that.

Now finished with the book, I’m still not finished with my work but I’m going to write about the book.

Thank you for reading. You are justifying my not working.

I Had No Idea Who Saikaku Ihara Was. I Just Liked the Title.

Three words – This Scheming World – describe perfectly the stories Ihara has to tell. Savvy marketing too, for a guy from the 17th Century. The connotations certainly compelled me to pick up the book. (Let's ignore the possible psychological machinations involved.)

Ihara has been called “the first spokesman for the Japanese masses.” Murasaki Shikibu wrote the Tale of Genji, the world’s oldest novel, in the late 10th Century. It was, in the words of Nobel laureate Yasunari Kawabata, “the highest pinnacle of Japanese literature.” From then on down through Japan’s Warring States Period, when the lords and samurai ruled the land, the printed word was limited to the realm of the country’s nobility.

This changed at the beginning of the 17th Century, with the onset of the relative peace of the Edo Era. No longer were the nobility lords over all; not in the sense they were before, because the economy was becoming heavily reliant on the merchant class. You wanted something, you had to buy it, no one cared who your father once was. How this translated into a sudden wave of interest in literature among the commoners I don’t know, but it did.


The emergence of Saikaku Ihara is hence put forth in the introduction to This Scheming World:

“What is of particular significance…was that there arose a new mass of readers chiefly composed of townspeople. Their view of life was coarser and, let it be said, even vulgar, but more positive and livelier than that of the upper class. To meet their expectations a new type of literature must needs be created, which would be produced by none but a spokesman of their own. This spokesman they found in Saikaku.”

Haiku & Human Vice

He was born Togo Hirayama, in 1642 in Osaka, historical cradle of business-minded Japanese society. For a time he wrote haiku under the pen name Saikaku Ihara while tending to his money-making. He was thirty-three when his wife died suddenly, sending him into a writing spree borne of mourning and desperate expression, driving him to write hundreds if not thousands of poems in a single day. Two years after his wife’s death he settled his accounts, closed up shop and took off, traveling and feeding his literary habits through the things he saw.

Turning to story-telling, Ihara displayed a distaste for the highfalutin style of the elite classes, inclined instead to relate the virtues and vices of those who inhabited the world around him. “Man is lusty,” he is quoted as saying. “All right. I will picture him as such. Man is greedy. Very well. I will depict him as such. Above all else I will picture the world of men and women as it actually is.”

That world was comprised of a class of people whose power, they understood, lie in money. With it they were everything, despite any semblance of lineage or nobility. Without it they were beggars regardless of their family’s former standing in the community.

So avaricious were they when it came to money that, as it was explained, they would be “reluctant to walk fast, even on an emergency call to express sympathy after a fire: he feared he would work up an appetite and have to eat too much, which would mean a waste of money.”

The introduction to Scheming World goes on to complete the sordid picture: “Despite all these frantic efforts, however, not everybody could become rich. On the contrary, nine persons out of ten were destined to be failures.” On top of this, it was those with money already that the system favored. “It is the man of common ability with capital, rather than the man of rare ability with no capital, who gains profit.”

For my friends in America this may be rich fodder for political fomentation.

One Day, Countless Schemes

Ihara wrote several books of stories illustrating, with complete anonymity though they must have existed, the underhanded and dirty ways common men and women sought to gain another coin or two. This Scheming World brings together a rich collection of characters around the curious Japanese custom of settling debts on the last day of the year – a tradition pitting debtors against bill collectors in a humorously pathetic display of cunning and deceit.

It is far beyond the scope of this impetuous piece to draw out even one of Ihara’s stories. Suffice to say, though his characters lived long ago, in a place likely quite far, geographically or conceptually or both, from the reader, many of the fundamental ideas driving the actions of his characters can be just as accurately attributed to present society. Only the details differ.

On spending lavishly on dress, in those times kimono, Ihara writes: “…money is squandered on what does not really attract attention. The obi (the ornate sash of a Japanese kimono) must be of genuine imported satin, twelve feet long and two feet wide. Why not try wearing a girdle of two pieces of silver around the waist? The hair comb may cost two ryo of gold, but wouldn’t a woman balancing three koku (half a ton) of rice on top of her head attract more attention?

Lady Gaga and Marilyn Manson evidently understood this idea.

Yawn. Such stupidity.
I'd be much more impressed...
...if they balanced a thousand pounds of rice on their heads.
On how one poor woman was able to collect alms by wearing the black robe of a religious person: “Even a sardine’s head will shine if believed in.”

Same for a liar’s orange head. (Foment, fellow Americans!)

On those who enjoy the last day of the year: “To hum a popular song to the accompaniment of a woman’s shamisen at the year end, without regard to the convenience of neighbors, is a form of amusement only permitted in the licensed quarters. In accord with the line of the song that runs so appropriately. “Leading a life of lamenting,” most people of this world, with a load of care on their minds, come to the very last day of the year, only to discover that it is much too long. Ordinarily people regret the all too swift passage of the days, but this particular day is an exception.”

In other words, subsumed with the business of life – and a life consumed by business – people nevertheless find themselves on the last day of the year worried sick about how they will pay their debts; indeed if they will be able to pay them all, and if not what they will do to fend off those who come to their door to collect. On the other hand, it is only those who live carelessly who, at the end of the day (i.e. the end of the year) will have no cares.

To the Hell of Debt and Back

I too have suffered through a time of heavy debt. Consuming debt. Debt that would not leave my head even when I slept. Today I owe not a penny to anyone. Yes, I pay my taxes each year and my rent every month. I have credit, but I clear each account as soon as it comes calling so as to not carry it over with interest (not to mention more insomnia). I am far from rich, and I must, as all do, spend time on bringing home the bacon. This too can bring its occasional concerns, but going for a walk in the woods is a luxury I can not only afford but enjoy, my thoughts free of the world I am leaving temporarily behind.

On being resigned to a life of debt: “Nobody has ever had his head cut off for failing to pay a debt. Not that I won’t pay so long as I am able. But you can’t get blood out of a turnip. How I wish I had a money tree! But sad to say there’s none at hand for I never sowed the seed.”

This sentiment hits hard. My family and I are safely housed and well-fed. Still, I am guilty as well of never planting that money tree. Not one that ever grew.

Ichiyo Higuchi, also a writer of short stories, appears on this Japanese currency note.
She is said to have been influenced greatly by Ihara's work, writing much on Japan's seedier side.
Making Money is What You Make of It

Ihara acknowledges the varying habits of a society built on money. Those habits can very well be applied to today, to society at large and to individuals everywhere. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

The author also puts forth an interesting proverb while expounding on the entitled denizens of Kyoto. Being far from the ocean, they nevertheless dine on succulent bonito while the fishermen all along the coast spend their days eating smaller fish: “It is darkest at the foot of the lighthouse,” he writes.

Sounds a lot like parenthood.

On working hard to make one’s living: “Poverty is a stranger to diligence.”

Check that. It’s not about working hard. It’s all about working smart – for those who are able to realize the difference.

On keeping money hidden safely forever under the proverbial mattress: “This money reminds me of a girl who was made a nun at birth; it has never been caressed by a man nor enjoyed a good time; furthermore, it’s destined to go to the temple in the end.”

The story from which these words were taken involves people with old money whose sole concern is making sure none of it goes anywhere. To be honest I don’t know how old money works. Neither, I suspect, will my children.

On focus: “’Shoemaker, stick to your last,’ for after all, one’s regular business is best for him.”

Here Ihara is putting forth the idea that one should stick to what business he knows, advising against reaching for additional success in unfamiliar places. When I read this I thought of a proverb ascribed to Confucius: “The man who chases two rabbits catches none.” The character Ihara is referencing, however, already has one rabbit in hand. He is simply trying to hold onto it while reaching for something else. In this idea I see one of my eternal flaws: I have never focused solely on one thing for the long-term. I have been driven long-term toward more than one thing, but I’ve never secured one rabbit before reaching for another.

Yet here I am feeding my creative appetite instead of tackling the stuff that feeds the family.

On judiciousness of spending: “At every meal with drink poverty flourishes.”

Hell if I’m not going to have a beer with dinner every now and then. But this illustrates Ihara’s point about the overarching mindset of the people of his time, in the place he was born.

To them, money was everything. Money dictated one’s every move.

This remains true today, although not for everyone even if at times it may seem so. I dare say money is everything to two specific types of people: those who don’t have enough, and those who believe they can never have enough.

I am not, by developed world standards, swimming in money. But neither am I worried, in literal or metaphorical terms, of working up too costly an appetite.

It’s a beautiful day out there. I think I’ll go for a walk in the woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment